Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hermit Crab

The hermit crab is complete!

Hermit Crab Redux from Karl Li on Vimeo.



Modeled in Maya, textured in Mudbox, rendered with MentalRay.

I'm perfectly aware that no hermit crab would ever actually live in a conch shell that large, but I thought the image of a small crab in a huge shell was amusing.

Some stills from some different angles...





As the title "redux" suggests, the crab above is actually the second version of the hermit crab I've made. I originally finished about a week earlier with a different version, but then after getting some suggestions from Professor Scott White, my 3D modeling professor, I decided to redesign the conch shell. Here's what Hermit Crab Mark I looked like:

Hermit Crab from Karl Li on Vimeo.



I actually still want to change some things. If I have time, I'm going to go back and change the displacement mapping on the conch to get the groves to all go in a more uniform direction. Also 9 seconds into the turntable, you might notice there's a slight shiny spot on the conch. That's a mistake I made in the specular map that I definitely want to fix. I also want to try placing some small low intensity lights really close to the crab's eyes to bring out the gloss that's visible in the Mark I crab. In the Mark II crab, the shadow from the flaring part of the conch makes the crab's eyes look matte. The crab's claws need some color tweaking as well; the color doesn't quite perfectly match the rest of the crab.

The DMD director, Amy Calhoun, told me that no modeler is ever satisfied with a model. So true. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment